This week I found this great new app called Digsby. It links all of your chats and social networks together into one little desktop box. I thought to myself "What a great thing! Now I don't have to sign in to a hundred different pages every time I get on my computer."
But, being the cautious person I am, I decided I would research this app a little more. How do I feel about giving ALL of my usernames and passwords to one program? Is this really a good idea? Every bone in my body is telling me that this kind of thing could compromise my privacy. Yet there was not even a hint of such a concern on the Internet (that I could find in a few minutes of searching). Usually if something like this is a concern to others it will appear in at least 1 blog somewhere. But, as far as I could tell, there were no such concerns about Digsby. Apparently the app goes no further than your desktop; the passwords are not stored on any server and no administrator of the app has access to your information.
Although this concern has proven to be not so big a deal (I now have Digsby), I still think we need to be on the lookout for people OR programs that could infringe on our rights to privacy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment